Search results are changing. Here is what you need to know to keep up with the times.
- Localize Yourself – Have you heard of Google Places? If not, you need to. Localized SEO is taking over and Google Places is at the top of the list. Not only is this a great place to identify yourself, your location, and critical information about your business for the world to find, but it is also free to use, and shows up at the top of most search results.
- … & Get Reviews – In addition to Google Places, localized review aggregators like Yelp, Superpages, Yahoo! Local, and Trip Advisor are great places to earn credibility. Go one step further and promote yourself on sites that focus just on your locale, area of the country, or industry. Allowing your business to be found on these sites, and encouraging your customers to post to them, is a great way to get your name out there.
- Social Media – We can’t say it enough. Social Media is key. Not only is it a way to get your voice out there, but sites such as Facebook and Twitter are heavily involved in search rankings.
- Keywords: People, Not Robots – Getting to the top of search results is about making sure you can be found when PEOPLE are searching, not just the robots. Think about what your customers are typing to find you, or even ask them! Knowing how people are finding you and what they tried before finding you is key information in getting more people to get to you. When putting anything on the internet, think of the content in terms of keywords. Don’t go overboard and put it all in one place, but using your keywords in your online content is what gets found by the search engine robots, and allows people to get to you.
- No Fake Content – Don’t try to write content for the sake of content, or duplicate content. Search engine kings like Google are smart enough to distinguish quality content from copied and pasted duplicated content.
As with everything, consistency of information is key. Ensure you are typing in the information (even down to “Blvd.” versus “Boulevard”) the same way on your website, local listings, and review sites.